sexta-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2014

Hot formalities

Good evening to all my followers!


   Today I would like to start with a little announcement. 
   I've noticed that my blog posts are very big, which is okay, because I do like to write them that long. The problem, though, is that I get very tired and I don't end up sleeping enough. For that reason, I will keep posting normally, just don't be surprised if, once in a while, you see a smaller post.   

   But let's move into our day!

  Today, there was no more rain. The sun was shining bright in the sky and I almost went with a T-shirt outside. It's getting warmer, which means the spring is nearby, alongside with the Sakura flowers, I hope.
   After the morning classes, about the differences between words in certain parts of Japan, we went for the cafeteria for our lunch. It was there that I found the dish, which is now my favourite one, in Japan, named Kare-rice. 

(Google picture)

   This dish is basically rice with meat and some vegies, dipped within a special spicy sauce. As you can see, I don't know many details and I couldn't take a picture of it today. You guys may ask why, but I don't think you would like a photo of a clean white plate, would you ? Yes I was that hungry! 
   So, after our lunch, we went for another class, but this time inside the University's Memorial Tea House. 


   The class was about the famous tea ceremony, which was soon followed by a pratical demonstration. 

                             

   The ceremony was hosted by 7 girls, 1 boy and 1 sensei, dressed for the ocasion, who served us with a special tea and some cakes. In the picture above, you can see that the ceremony starts with a purification ritual, which is exactly the same one as the ones you can find in shinto shrines. Everyone who attends the ceremony must fulfil this ritual first, one at a time.




   After that, starts the difficult task of entering the small tea-house, which is only big enough for 5 people. Inside, the guests remain quiet and on their knees, waiting to be served.

                             

   Since we were more than just 5 people, we moved into a bigger tea-house, right next to the first-one.



   During the ceremony, we had to remain on our knees, which was a pretty diffcult task, since these practices last for a long time. Obviously we were allowed to rest, but only in certain moments. While we were all inside, we heard the explanation about how we should proceed. We only have a bowl of tea to work with, but it doesn't make it easier, believe me. 
   Before we drink the tea, we ate a sweet dry flower cake, named harutsugegusa.



   The tea, on the other hand, has to be drunk following these rules:
   - Keep the bowl, filled with tea, in front of you;
   - Hold it, and put it to your right;
   - While on your knees, bow once.
   - Hold the bowl again, and put it to your left;
   - Bow again;
   - Hold the bowl once more, and put it in front of you;
   - Bow once more,
   - Hold the bowl with one hand, and put it on the palm of your other hand;
   - Spin the bowl 180º degrees;
   - Hold it with both hands and drink the entire tea;
   - Once you're finished, spin the bowl again 180º degrees, so that the spot where you put your mouth can be easly acknowledged;
   - Bow one last time. 

   As you can see, it's a little complex, but easy to learn and the tea is entirely green and a little bitter. Truly different from any other that I have ever tasted. 


   While everyone receives their tea, which is made in another room and brought by the girls, the two first persons of the group (I was one of them) can watch their tea being made and immediately served to them. The ceremony ends after the bowls are taken and the proper thanks are given to the hosts. 
   During our entire day we were interviewed by two journalists that were preparing two different reports for the local News. 

Two reports enjoying their cakes
   
4 of the 7 hosting girls, wearing Kimono.

   The day ended with us returning to our appartment at 5:30 p.m.
   It was, indeed, a short day, because the 1 hour classes make the time fly by very quickly. Hope you have enjoyed this post about the tea ceremony, a famous japanese tradition which has SO MUCH history and so many more details. Unfortunately, I don't even know half of them.

   On our way home, we still stopped by the railroad, hoping to catch a glimpse of the trains.

                              

   Before I end this post, here's a japanese article that my friend Maximillian found about us, praying at a shrine.


    
   Tomorrow the program is a little uncertain. It will be interesting, I can guarantee you that, but I have no clues to give to you guys this time, I'm sorry.....Well, maybe there's just one ''tasty'' hint somewhere.

Diogo here, thank you for reading, stay tuned for more!    

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário